The Tiemans

The Tiemans

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Bragging

Yes, I'm going to brag about my amazing son, Parker, if you don't want to know about it, well, then you should stop reading.
So, for everyone who doesn't mind reading my boasts; here we go.
I am SO SO proud of how well behaved Parker is.
First, I was worried about all of the doctors appointments I would have to bring Parker to, since I'm pregnant and I now need to go to the doctor regularly- I recurrently see toddlers throwing tantrums at the doctor, but for us it hasn't been bad at all. He'll choose a chair in the waiting room stand in front of it and say please to let me know he wants to sit in it- then I put him in the chair, give him a magazine, and then he'll sit and turn pages and look at the pictures. Same thing during the appointment, sitting, reading a magazine, and pointing to the posters on the wall.
**Sidenote: the looking and pointing at the pictures is weird because in an OB/GYN office all of the posters are detailed pictures of various internal and external female body parts. The nurses and Dr. all laugh when he points up to the poster and starts babbling away and "talking" (talking the way a 15-month-old does) about what he's looking at.

Anyway- He's such a good kid, we have him clean up his own messes, and he has started to do this sometimes of his own initiative, he'll finish his books then start saying "away, away" and put his books back, he's not 100% yet, but I'm proud of his progress so far.
Sadly, in public many people are surprised to see him behave. When we're in a store and I say don't touch, at least 99% of the time he just walks away from the object without hesitation- I often get comments from people, the comments vary based on age demographics:
If they are younger than 30 or 35 the comment is "Oh my gosh!!- he listened"- as if they can't believe it.
If they are 40 or over they tell me that they are glad to see some parents still discipline their children.

Now believe me, I'm well aware that not all children misbehave solely because their parents don't discipline well enough, but you know-- it's often a factor for sure.

Seriously, one of the things that best shows his good behavior is when we go to story time at the library. After the stories and songs are over, the librarian opens this toy shelf and lets the kids go at it. Depending on the week there will be anywhere from 15-35 kids under the age of 4 all playing together. Parker and I have been going since he learned to walk, 5 months ago. In that time he has yet to hit, kick, bite or push another one of the children even once. He's one of very few kids who don't get violent, and all of the other "non-hitters" are girls, he's the only boy who doesn't push other kids around.
When he's been hit or pushed he will do one of three things: he'll whine, walk (more like stomp, because he's mad he got hit) away or say "no-no" to the other kid and then turn away, depending on how hard he got hit. When he has toys stolen from him he doesn't fight, he takes that toy back and then quickly walks away to avoid the other child acting out. Every time I see him do this- I can't help but be so proud. He's just so good.

**Can I also brag that he is just so darn cute?? Because he is. Really, I solemnly swear that he is the cutest boy that I have ever seen

There we go, my rant about my too-cute, and miraculously-well-behaved little man is over

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

He is way cute. You are great parents. It's amazing what children can do when they are taught. Love you lots and lots. Mom and Dad

Anonymous said...

Maybe i should start writing down notes! He's an amazing little boy and I hope my children are just as cute =o)