Months ago, Jason painted the walls in the girls room pink... all pink, solid pink. I was pretty, but then we had to find bedding to go with it. We decided on pink and brown. The problem was, most of the pink-and-brown bedding that we found was 90% pink and 10% brown. And since we already had lots of pink going on with the walls, we wanted more brown and less pink.
So I debated for a while, then decided to make the bedding myself. I really debated whether I should or not. I am not great at sewing (though I would love to be much better someday), and so I didn't know if I could do it and be happy with the results.
My grandma took me shopping for the fabric and such as my baby shower present, since she was in Europe at the time of the shower.
I didn't like any of the pink and brown patterned fabric that we found, so I decided to get plain pink and plain brown and make it work.
Here's what I came up with:
Plain brown sheet (x2): I thought the sheet was going to be really difficult, but it was actually probably the easiest part.
Pink and Brown Striped Crib Skirt:I made the stripes myself, since I didn't like any of the patterned fabrics available, and I didn't want everything to be too plain.
Quilt: I've worked on quilts before, but they were really basic. So I decided to not go to far from that. Just pink and brown checkers on the front, and a plain brown back.
The crib after I finished the bumper. Again, I wanted to add something so it wouldn't be too plain and boring... so I drew out a flower pattern and transferred it onto the bumper fabric, and then embroidered the flowers.
And a pleasant surprise: Embroidery is not as hard as I thought it would be. Time consuming, yes... difficult, not really.
Here's a little close-up of the embroidery, since you can't really see it clearly in the other picture 
Next, the windows. These took me a while to figure out, they weren't actually hard, once I figured out what I was doing, I just struggled to figure out what exactly I needed to do. Tying those bows after we hung them though was actually difficult, It may have been one of the more difficult parts: trying to get them to look nice, and straight and pretty.
Then the mobile. This is what I am least happy with, and it was actually pretty hard compared to the rest of the stuff I made. It could be worse I guess, but I don't really like it. Hopefully our daughter isn't too picky.
Other than the mobile though, I'm happy with it- It wasn't too hard, it turned out nicely and it was good practice so that someday I can hopefully be really good at sewingNow that I'm finished I still have tons of extra fabric. I'll save it for a later project I suppose. I already used a little bit of the extra pink to try out these frayed flowers that I saw online. Super easy, and cute I think-- these are getting glued onto a couple of hair clips (Katie, one of these is coming your way)
So, with the room complete we're just waiting for the baby to put in it....
Just 3 days until my due date
6 comments:
That is absolutely awesome. Great job. I think the mobil is charming.
Can't believe all the detial you put into the bumper pad. Your little girl is going to love it. I want to see pics of her in it when she comes.
Love you lots, Mom and Dad
So, I don't believe you that you made all that stuff. It looks amazing, and I think you took gramma shopping to buy fabric so you would have an "alibi" for when you just bought this stuff online for a small fortune. I'm onto you, Jenn... you can't fool me!
I love the brown with the pink it looks great! Your daughter will love it all :)
wow, it all looks awesome, and perfectly girly!! I can't wait to meet the little miss!!!
Jenn, you make me angry with all of this ridiculous talent of yours.
Jenn, I am so glad you found me! That is so fun that your little guy's name is Parker too! I have always loved that name! Congrats on baby #2! I can't wait to have a little girl someday! What are you going to name her??
Post a Comment