The Tiemans

The Tiemans

Thursday, March 27, 2014

Baby's First Month


Starting at birth and becoming more regular Corin would stop breathing for short periods of time, they started to get more frequent and more severe. Several times a day he would stop breathing until his mouth turned blue.
I called the Doctor about it and they sent us the Phoenix Children's hospital where Coring was admitted to the NICU where we stayed for three full days and nights.
For the full three days he was on breathing, heart rate and oxygen monitors, and was also connected to a sleep apnea monitors. We also had a barium swallow and a modified barium swallow test. 

In the end we found he had VERY irregular breathing and shallow breathing (several times he would breath so shallow that the apnea monitor went off because it couldn't even sense a breath). He also has an irregular suck-swallow pattern while eating, and reflux. 
I know that sounds like a lot of problems but really he's mostly fine, it was just a bad combination-- he struggles to coordinate his breathing with eating, and he starts to spit up also because of the reflux and then he chokes because of his shallow/irregular breathing patterns... so he would choke, stop breathing, and turn blue.
So, we went home with a prescription and 5 months later he has gotten much better about choking and as I feed him I can see that he has outgrown his uncoordinated suck/swallow pattern. He's doing well.
Anyway, while we were in the hospital he was weighed every 24 hours and it was funny to see him gaining ounces each time. Even though I know he is constantly growing at the beginning it was funny to see him gaining so much weight EVERY day.

Speaking of which we had his one month check-up right afterwards and here are his stats:
Height: 22.5 in almost 75%
Weight: 11lbs 8oz about 80%
Head circumference 75%


Pictures of Baby Corin during the month of October









And I love babywearing!
And for the sake of convenience I have done it more and more with each child. 
I wanted a better sling so I made this one:

Now I know why I got the looks I got back then... It's ridiculously cute to see that tiny bundle of a baby strapped to my chest

No comments: